Commercial buildings are a vital component to a successful business. Whether it be Offices, Shops, Leisure Centres, Cafes, Gyms, Restaurants, Nurseries, Warehouses or Recycling Centres, A9 Architecture can work with the client to create the ideal design. Each Class Use will have separate, individual requirements that must be abided by. We will guide the client through these steps, ensuring that the project is compliant.

Commercial projects will have to applied for under Full Planning Permission. This application takes 8 weeks before a decision is made and also has a fee that starts at £385 but is subject to increase.

Commercial projects, regardless of the application will require Building Control. This mandatory service is the inspection of building works and ensures that the build complies with current (UK) Building Regulations. This service can be completed privately or with the local authority.

Another mandatory test that must be carried out is Air Permeability. This test will analyse the amount of air that leaks throughout the building. This test would be carried out by a company that specialises in building energy.

Additionally, a Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) report will be required. This is a report that determines the energy performance of dwellings. SAP reports are often required on most outbuildings and new builds. A SAP report will be completed by either a self-appointed or recommended specialist.

When applying for these applications, there are a list of other additional works that may need to be carried out.


It may be necessary to calculate the structural elements for Building Control’s Approval. Once the extent of this part of the works is quantified, we can provide a quotation from our in-house engineer or you can appoint your own.

quire the appointment of a specialist.


A party wall agreement may be required where a separate surveyor would need to be appointed.  For detailed information on Party Wall Agreements, see “The Party Wall etc Act 1996”.


The proposed works may require drainage services from the waste water provider. There are two separate waste water providers that the project may fall under, these are Anglian Water and Thames Water. Each water provider has their own criteria and a simple site visit from A9 Architecture will determine if their services are required and what their fee may be. For more information, please see their individual websites.


As new builds require foundations, a soil test may have to be carried out in order to determine how deep the foundations will need to be and what method to use. This is often seen in projects where there are large trees in close proximity or where the soil is malleable. Additionally, the soil may also require testing for any contamination. These tests will be carried out by soil specialists and the fee will differ from company to company.


Tree surveys are required when there are trees within close distance of the proposed works. This could range from neighbouring trees to trees that are on public areas. The tree survey will locate each tree that they deem will affect the proposed works. Additionally, the tree survey will also locate Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs). TPOs are put in place to prevent the harm of important species of trees. If a tree does have a TPO there are a list of guidelines that must be abided by when in the construction stage. The fee for a tree survey is once again determined by the company appointed.


Some developments will require a Flood Risk Assessment to be carried out depending if the property falls into this criteria or not. The most accurate way to determine if the property requires a Flood Risk Assessment is to check the “Flood risk assessment for planning applications” web page on the government website. Flood Risk Assessments will generally have to be completed by a flood risk specialist and the fee is determined by themselves.


A Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) is a report that determines the energy performance of dwellings. SAP reports are often required on most outbuildings and new builds. A SAP report will be completed by either a self-appointed or recommended specialist.


This certificate is required when a property is either built, sold or rented. This certificate simply gives the building an energy rating and can give a rough indication as to how much will need to be spent to “run” the building.


It is often the case that on new builds there are none or insufficient utilities. Because of this, the client / contractor will have to contact their preferred utility provider and notify them that a connection of their service may be required. Utility services include, electricity, gas, water etc. and each company will vary in price.


If the project is over 100m², the project will be subject to a charge for the CIL. Community Infrastructure Levies are imposed by the local authority. The fee differs from project to project and is ultimately decided by the local authority.


When a job requires large amounts of Heating, Ventilation & Cooling (HVAC), then a building services engineer will be required. A building services engineer will design the layout of the HVAC systems in accordance with our drawings. This service is separate from ours and will require the appointment of a specialist.