A new build is a very exciting project as it allows the client freedom to design a house that is personal to them. At A9 Architecture we work closely with our clients in order to ensure that their specific requirements are met and that their dream design is developed. Whether it be an empty plot or the demolition of an existing building, we will do our upmost best to get the most out of the land.

The images above show the diverse architectural design that is provided by A9 Architecture. Each design clearly shows a difference in style and proves that the client’s requirements are adhered by and worked with. When designing a new build with us, we like to keep in regular contact so that the final developed design is as envisioned.

New Builds will have to be applied for under Full Planning Permission. This application takes 8 weeks for the council to make their decision and costs £385 per new build.

All new build projects, regardless of the application will require Building Control. This mandatory service is the inspection of building works and ensures that the build complied with current (UK) Building Regulations. This service can be completed privately or with the local authority.

Another mandatory test that must be carried out is Air Permeability. This test will analyse the amount of air that leaks throughout the building. This test would be carried out by a company that specialises in building energy.

Additionally, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) will be required. This certificate simply gives the building an energy rating and can give a rough indication as to how much will need to be spent to “run” the building.

When applying for these applications, there are a list of other additional works that may need to be carried out.


A party wall agreement may be required where a separate surveyor would need to be appointed.  For detailed information on Party Wall Agreements, see “The Party Wall etc Act 1996”.


It may be necessary to calculate the structural elements for Building Control’s Approval. Once the extent of this part of the works is quantified, we can provide a quotation from our in-house engineer or you can appoint your own.


The proposed works may require drainage services from the waste water provider. There are two separate waste water providers that the project may fall under, these are Anglian Water and Thames Water. Each water provider has their own criteria and a simple site visit from A9 Architecture will determine if their services are required and what their fee may be.  For more information, please see their individual websites.


As new builds require foundations, a soil test may have to be carried out in order to determine how deep the foundations will need to be and what method to use. This is often seen in projects where there are large trees in close proximity or where the soil is malleable. Additionally, the soil may also require testing for any contamination. These tests will be carried out by soil specialists and the fee will differ from company to company.


Tree surveys are required when there are trees within close distance of the proposed works. This could range from neighbouring trees to trees that are on public areas. The tree survey will locate each tree that they deem will affect the proposed works. Additionally, the tree survey will also locate Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs). TPOs are put in place to prevent the harm of important species of trees. If a tree does have a TPO there are a list of guidelines that must be abided by when in the construction stage. The fee for a tree survey is once again determined by the company appointed.


Some developments will require a Flood Risk Assessment to be carried out depending if the property falls into this criteria or not. The most accurate way to determine if the property requires a Flood Risk Assessment is to check the “Flood risk assessment for planning applications” web page on the government website. Flood Risk Assessments will generally have to be completed by a flood risk specialist and the fee is determined by themselves.


A Standard Assessment Procedure is a report that determines the energy performance of dwellings. SAP reports are often required on most outbuildings and new builds. A SAP report will be completed by either a self-appointed or recommended specialist.


It is often the case that on new builds there are none or insufficient utilities. Because of this, the client / contractor will have to contact their preferred utility provider and notify them that a connection of their service may be required. Utility services include, electricity, gas, water etc. and each company will vary in price.


If the project is over 100m², the project will be subject to a charge for the CIL. Community Infrastructure Levies are imposed by the local authority. The fee differs from project to project and is ultimately decided by the local authority.